Friday 24 November 2017 has been marked by the Carers UK Charity as National Carers Rights Day! It has been set up to help raise awareness of the lives of people who care for their relatives, friends or neighbours every day, and whose rights and entitlements often get forgotten.
Across Dorset we are hosting an array of events to mark the day and to offer information and support to all carers in our local communities. These range from coffee mornings to event days and drop-in sessions. (Please see below for details: all are held on 24 November unless noted).
Weymouth – at Weymouth Connect, Grosvenor Road, Weymouth, DT4 7QL. An Open Event from 10:30am until 12:00pm, offering an array of information and links with organisations who support carers (e.g. POPPs Care Navigator, Carers Case Workers, Continence Nurses and many more). There will also be refreshments, cake sale, a raffle and information about services the Weymouth area can offer.
For more information, call: 01305 760583
Dorchester – at Dorchester Connect, Acland Road, Dorchester, DT1 1SH – An Open Morning for all carers in our community as we join in with the Carers Group who meet on the last Friday of every month, from 10:00 am until 12:00 pm with an opportunity to stay for lunch afterwards. You will be able to meet the staff, learn about services the Centre offers as well as learn about other local support opportunities. There will also be a talk explaining the benefits of Mindfulness Medication. Refreshments will be available as well as lunch on the day.
For more information, call: 01305 269073
Wareham – At Wareham Plus Day Centre, 21 Bonnets Lane, Wareham, BH20 4HB, Coffee and Cake Afternoon from 13:30 to 15:00. As well as coffee and cake there will be information, signposting, and guidance around the ways to find right support in our local area.
For more information, call: 01929 554618
Swanage – at Swanage Connect, 107 High Street, Swanage, BH19 2NB, Open Session at the Day Centre. From 14:00 until 15:00. Afternoon tea for all the carers in the community, offering opportunities for carers to meet people and organisations who offer support locally (including POPP Wayfinders and Memory Advisors). Come and learn what the service can offer to you and meet the new manager who has recently been appointed to the role. Furthermore, we will have the cake stalls and mince pies and we will begin our Christmas Sale!
For more information, call: 01929 422804.
Verwood – at Verwood Connect, Jenner Close, Verwood, BH31 7QE – Coffee Morning for all carers in our community, from 11:00 to 12:30. We have invited many different organisations and professionals who work in the local area to support carers – come and meet them, learn if there is anything they can help you with. And have a coffee and cake!
For more information, call: 01202 828345
Poole – at Parkstone Connect, Croft Road, Parkstone, Poole BH12 3LD. Times: 10:30 – 14:30. An information-packed event in partnership with Dorset Advocacy, offering guidance, information and practical support on variety of issues, including:
- Accessing information online
- Learning about Powers of Attorney, Advocacy and other legal matters
- Providing a range of information about, for example, assessments, tackling isolations and very practical help such as cleaning, gardening, handywork
- Taster sessions for all carers to try (for example aromatherapy, Yoga, relaxation)
- Support and advice from the local social work team
For more information, call: 01202 721590
Bournemouth – Westbourne Plus, Alumhurst Road, Westbourne, BH4 8ER. Open Event from 1:30 – 3:30pm offering refreshments and time to sit and discuss any matters with relevant people from different local organisations supporting carers, as well as the opportunity to learn what different services and support are on offer from Tricuro services in Bournemouth.
For more information, call: 01202 451500
Christchurch – Christchurch Connect. Loring Road, Christchurch, BH23 2GZ. Coffee & Cake & Therapies Afternoon, from 1:00 – 3:30, offering taster sessions of different relaxation treatments as well as information about different forms of support available. Also the relaunch of the local Carers Support Group!
For more information, call: 01202 486114
Highcliffe – at Highcliffe Plus, 250 Lymington Road, Highcliffe, Christchurch, BH23 5ET. We are holding an Open Day for Carers on 22nd November 2017 inviting all the carers whose loved ones already attend the service as well as any other carers in the area to join in with different activities across the day. Morning sessions start at 10:30 and afternoon sessions start at 13:30. All carers will have an opportunity to attend taster sessions and (where applicable) share the time with their loved ones. The team will also offer information packs and signposting to other support organisations as well as explaining what the what is the full offer at Christchurch Plus. Refreshments available throughout the day!
For more information, call: 01425 278644
Shaftesbury – at Shaftesbury Plus, Trinity Centre, Bimport, Shaftesbury: 2 events noted below:
Tuesday 21st November 2017 – Open Day for Carers of North Dorset, offering:
- 10:30 – 12:00 – coffee morning with information from different agencies and professionals
- 12:15 – 13:45 – community lunch (booking essential)
- 14:00 – 16:00 – “My Time” carers support group are holding a session for everyone to attend which will include a presentation on “Power of Attorney” delivered by the Dorset County Council Mental Capacity team
Tuesday 19th December 2017 – Open Day for Carers of North Dorset, offering
- 10.30 – 12.00 – coffee morning with information from agencies and partners
- 12.15pm – Christmas Buffet Lunch available (£5.00 per person if pre-booked)
- 2.00pm – 4.00pm – “My Time” carers support group social afternoon
For more information and lunch booking call: 01747 854959
Blandford – at Blandford Community Centre, Heddington Drive, Blandford, DT11 7TP. Drop-in Session open to all carers in our community! From 14:00 till 16:00. Inviting you to meet different professionals and organisations who work in our local community to support carers. These include:
- POPP Wayfinders,
- Carer Case Workers,
- Community Policy and Fire Service,
- Age Concern,
- Carers leads at local GP Surgeries
- as well as two support groups working locally: My Time and Step Ahead.
For more information, call: 01258 480762
Bridport – at the Bridport Connect, Flood Lane, Bridport, DT63QG – Organising a specific event on 12th December 2017 – Carers’ Rights Christmas Coffee Morning! We will offer Christmas festivities and refreshments alongside information and advice from different organisations and professionals supporting carers in our communities.
For more information, call: 01308 422666
Link to the Carers UK website:
All our Tricuro Day Services already offer support to the carers in our communities in different forms such as:
- respite care that engages and supports the people who are cared for, giving the carers time to themselves knowing their loved ones are in a safe and caring environment
- information and signposting, linking the carers with organisations and people who can further support them
- opening doors to different activities that they can join in with, to have time away from caring or to engage with their cared-for person in a different way.
Why don’t you visit the pages for our Day Services to learn what is available in your local area?